NC Prescribed Fire Council Update
John Ann Shearer, Council President
- In January the Fire Council sent a letter State Forester Wib Owen (with copies to Governor Bev Perdue, Mr. Pryor Gibson, Senior Advisor for Governmental Affairs, and Mr. Dee Freeman, Secretary of DENR) thanking DFR for its prompt and effective actions to address wildfires and opposing a prescribed burning ban. The letter expressed a desire that any burning ban should distinguish between prescribed burning administered by professionals and any other form of burning such as backyard trash burning. We reiterated the need for prescribed fires to prevent wildfires.
- Good news – In early May we received notification from the IRS that the North Carolina Prescribed Fire Council, Inc. is exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code. The effective date of exemption is June 16, 2010. We are now qualified to receive tax deductible bequests, devises, transfers or gifts. Thanks to all (especially Jim Gray) for the work to make this happen!!
- Representatives from the Fire Council have been attending the NRCS State Technical Committee and associated subcommittees to participate in discussions concerning Farm Bill programs that include prescribed fire.
- The Fire Council strategic planning process, led by Kevin Harvell, is underway. The completed plan will provide the Council with both a long-term vision and specific objectives for our committees.
- There’s a whopping big wildfire at Alligator River NWR and the Dare County bombing range. For up to date information go to: http://www.inciweb.org/